Food and drinks are two of the best parts of Halong Bay tourism, and it could be regretful if travelers cannot taste some of those. Here we introduce many of the best dishes and beverages at the bay, which are symbols of eating culture of Halong Bay. The information is not only what is the dish, how is made and what is made from, or how tasty is it with unique flavor, but also how to enjoy them in the best way, or what make these dishes special. Moreover, we also suggest where travelers should come to taste the dishes, as well as some tips in case that tourist wants to cook that food by their own hand. For the drinks, we recommend some places to purchase them with ensured quality and good price, and also some of cautions for drinkers to use those beverages in a completely safe way.
Tu Hai (Vietnamese: Tu Hài) is the speciality of Van Don Island district, some other places called snail spout. It is a kind of shellfish, but it is very rare and valuable. If you have enjoyed it once time, you will never forget the special taste of it. You can cook soup or salad with “tu hai” or you can steam or bake it.
Steamed “tu hai” is sweet and cool. Its meat mix with spice can attract any visitor when he comes here.
This is the receipt to steam “tu hai”
- Choose the Tu Hai with the similar size. Soak them in water at 80oc to 900c about 3 minutes.
- Pick them out, and then wash them
- Dried onion and garlic, fresh onion leaves are cut into small pieces, then fry them in vegetable oil, then mix them with “tu hai”
- Add fish sauce, soup, glutamate
- Steam this dish in 12 to 15 minutes.